Learn how to get a GA identification card.
You have just arrived in the United States. You are asked for identification. What can you provide? A Georgia ID Card.
Why Do I Need an ID?
An identification card is important to have for a variety of reasons.
You need some type of picture ID to cash checks, use credit or debit
cards, buy liquor or cigarettes, obtain a passport, for admittance to
many places, and sometimes even to see movies. It is also a good idea
to have an ID in case of emergency.
How Do I Get One?
To get an ID you have to apply in person at the driver’s license
customer service center, also known as the DMV. To figure out which
location is closest to you, you can search by zip code online athttp://www.dds.ga.gov/locations/index.aspx. An ID card is $20 for five years and $35 for 10 years.
What Do I Need to Bring?
To get the ID, you must prove your Georgia residency by providing one of these documents:
- A utility bill in your name with a Georgia residence listed
- A bank statement in your name with a Georgia residence listed
- An employer verification (pay stub and W-2 tax form are two examples)
- A Georgia driver’s license issued to your parent, guardian, or spouse
Additionally, you will have to provide proof of identity with one of the following:
- An original birth certificate or a certified copy
- A certificate of birth registration
- A certified copy of court records for name changes, adoptions, or sex changes
- Certified naturalization papers
- An immigration ID card
- A valid Passport
have to turn in any previous driver’s licenses, ID cards, and learner’s
permits when you apply for the ID. Also, you will have to provide your Social Security number.